Friday, June 1, 2012

Disappointing Dinner


I knew going in that this diet was not going to be easy for me however I never thought that it would make me feel sad. Let’s just say tonight’s dinner menu was an absolute fail for my hubby and kiddos. I grilled up some portabella mushroom caps as ‘burgers’ and put them on buns with cheese and turkey bacon for everyone else but me. As a side dish I made quinoa with seared sliced almonds, dried cranberries, cinnamon, and basil. The only things they did eat were the turkey bacon and cheese. Where did I go wrong? I mean, the portabella ‘burgers’ were juicy and cooked with Worcestershire sauce, just like regular burgers. And the quinoa was amazing and full of flavor. When I saw the hubs sitting there gnawing on a carrot stick I knew something was up. He said he loves mushrooms (which is why I choose this meal) but he would prefer they remain a side dish and not the main course. M just said that the bottom of the ‘burger’ looked yucky and the sand (quinoa) was too weird. I think I am starting to hit the edge of their food comfort zones though. I heard someone once say that many people stick to only about 10 fruits and veggies that are familiar to them and don’t tend to venture beyond. Lately I have been bringing in unusual fruits and veggies for everyone to try. Well, they aren’t really unusual to me but they are to everyone else. I am one to explore new territories with my food and enjoy trying new combinations. If I ‘play it safe’ all the time, I may get bored with this diet change and revert back to my bad habits. I would love some advice as to how to make things more appealing to the entire family and not just myself, all while sticking within the parameters of a whole food, plant based diet.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if this is what you are wanting to hear, but you may have to make separate meals to some extent. Try making enough to last yourself for 4-5 days and just dish yourself up leftovers. Then cook for the rest of the family on a daily basis. That way your food is ready to eat whenever you need it, and the kids and hubs get "real food" and they can try out your food if they feel like it. Unfortunately kids (and sometimes husbands) don't appreciate the finer things! The quinoa recipe sounds delish! Good luck and keep it up. You are doing great. It just may not be for everyone in your family, but if you eat healthy and attempt to feed them healthy (within the limits of what they like) they will grow up learning to be healthy eaters too!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave me feedback! I love hearing everyone's view on things.