Sunday, June 3, 2012

Getting easier by the day!

Sorry no post yesterday but I was crazy busy with kiddos and family stuff.

My mom came over yesterday to decorate cupcakes with M and B. I was able to control myself somewhat and only ate 1/2 a cupcake. Ooh it was so good!


My mom and I shared the leftover quinoa/cranberry/almond mixture for lunch while the others ate "regular" food. Grandmom hung out with the kiddos for a little while and even let me try a new "do" in her hair. (My mom is such a good sport!)
My very first attempt at a fishtail braid!!!


After a quick nap time we went to the in-laws farm for dinner. The menu was steak, chicken, mac n cheese, salad, and baked potato. Even though everything smelled wonderful I managed to control myself yet again and stick only to salad and a baked potato. And I ate them 'as-is' which means no salad dressing and no butter, salt, cheese, or sour cream on the potato. The flavor was amazing though, even without all the extras. I have found that I no longer crave the added things and I am enjoying the true flavor foods have to offer. I did bring along some homemade granola though and snacked on that throughout the evening.

The granola was a simple recipe and came out wonderfully. Here is the recipe:
Quick & Easy Granola

4 cups old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup sunflower seed kernels
1/4 cup flax seed
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/8 cup oil
1/2 cup honey
1/4 molasses
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1/4 chopped walnuts
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup dried blueberries

Combine oats, sunflower seed kernels,flax seeds, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix until well blended. Add oil, honey, and molasses until entire mixture is well coated. Put into 2 shallow baking dishes and bake in 350 degree oven for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add nuts and bake for 3 more minutes. Let cool. Once mixture has cooled completely, mix in berries. Store in air tight container.
*Add white and/or chocolate chips for a sweet treat*
*Serve with chilled soy or almond milk for a great breakfast meal*


I have been really good today. I ate a bowl of granola with vanilla soy milk for breakfast and an apple/strawberries/kiwi smoothie for lunch. I am playing it safe because tonight I know I am going to gorge myself on unhealthy foods. It is date night for me and the hubs and we are going out to eat at one of my favorite restaurants - CHEDDER'S!!!!! Maybe if there is time we will walk around Half-Price Books or Bed, Bath, & Beyond (I so want one of those magnetic screen doors for the back door.) So syked! Now to enjoy the rest of this day outside with M and the dog while B naps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave me feedback! I love hearing everyone's view on things.